In just one month Mr. Shoe and I will be running the Princess Half Marathon. Although I am not quite where I want to be in terms of training, I am getting really excited for our trip to Florida! My parents and my sister’s family all live in Florida and this will be our first chance to see them since our wedding (over a year ago). Andplusalso: sunshine!
I haven’t come back quite as quickly after my calf strain as I was hoping. I had hoped to be running 30+ mile weeks by this point, but with those silly hamstring issues, it just hasn’t happened. Usually this is the sort of thing that would stress me out, but right now I am really focused on just building my base for my spring races. I probably will not be trying to PR, but it would be nice to see exactly where I am now compared to where I was in September.
How I am training for the next month:
- Increase weekly mileage from the upper 20s to the mid 30s.
- One speed work out per week. I was planning on 1 tempo run per week but ended up doing intervals this week instead (more on this later).
- Baby anything that twinges. More stretching. More foam rolling. Cut back if needed.
- Add in a bit more strengthening. I missed my day of strength training last week and this week is on track for a repeat performance. In an attempt to compensate I have done a bit of core stuff after each run so far this week.
- Eat healthier. I gained a couple pounds while I was injured AND I gained a few more over the holidays. I’ve been working on this for the past couple weeks and have made good progress. If I can keep it up I should be back at my normal weight before vacation.